As a reaction, leaders instinctively respond with:
• Brute force hiring to bring skills into the organization and/or
• Investing in training programs to elevate employee skills
But what businesses forget is that today, people are digital literates. Digital literates, as Wikipedia explains, have both the digital skills and the ability to find, capture, and evaluate information on their own.
Digital literates have the potential to do more
Most businesses underestimate the capability of their digitally literate employees to learn new skills and handle significantly greater complexity independently, when they are empowered with the right information to self-serve.
These employees represent an immense pool of latent skill resource for businesses but a study by IDC revealed that most employees find the information they need only 56% of the time. Hiring more people without solving this problem means more employees cannot access what they need to be successful.
When your digital literates cannot access the information they need, when they need it, there are significant economic consequences:
- Low return on information assets
- Siloed information is underutilized
- Opportunity cost of reinventing the wheel
- Inability to build on past work
- Reduced productivity and untapped skills
- Longer time taken to learn and contribute effectively
- Frequent escalations to highly solicited experts
- Low return on digital literates
- More searching vs. acting on information
- Lack of information results in poor decision making
These economic ramifications can be felt across the organization in sales, engineering, customer service and satisfaction, and your interaction with partners.
Empowering digital literates with relevant knowledge delivers better performance.
By putting all your organization’s knowledge and information to work and giving your digitally literate employees access to the best information and insights in real-time, they learn and become proficient in real-time. We call this UPSKILLING.
And intelligent search does just that. It puts the insights and information that matter at your employees’ fingertips by unifying your business’ vast store of information quickly and securely. Intelligent search delivers role-aware and task-aware knowledge to your employees in the course of their work, through the application of their choice.
This means that as your customer service and field service reps communicate with customers on the phone or in-person, they are recommended insights and experts specific to their job and the problem they are currently working on, to help them troubleshoot in real-time.
Similarly, an employee on a global product development team is recommended relevant insights from past projects that he can build on, and also be made aware of lesser-known experts in the company he can immediately connect with to learn more. And the benefit of upskilling extends to your customers and partners too.
With the right information and knowledge:
- All your employees can upskill and become proficient in real-time, and deliver better service, products and results.
- You can shorten new employee onboarding time, close critical skills gaps as employees become more proficient, and reduce the reliance on hiring.
- Your customers become more successful at self-service and in the process gain speed, instantaneity and satisfaction; your employees do less and costs go down as your business offloads capacity.
- Your partners are empowered with relevant resources to do more business with you and add value to your business.
That’s why we are passionate about the transformative power of intelligent search technology – it gives your organization a distinct advantage.
Take a look at how organizations are transforming their digital literates.
Upskill your digital literates (and your organization) with intelligent search today.